“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.”
The first time I read this quote, I was like “yeah whatever” I was too skeptical, too jaded and just plain suspicious. But when I was studying Positive Psychology I learned all the facts behind incorporating a Gratitude practice into your life. Now that I have made a habit of giving thanks at even the smallest opportunity, I can 100% vouch for how magical this small practice is, how it literally transforms the ordinary and mundane into something exquisite & truly worth living. So Here’s another 5 reasons you need to keep a gratitude journal and scribbling all those wonderful things that you have in your life.
- Gratitude Changes your Thought Patterns: studies have shown a strong mind-body connection. When we are feeling stressed, or anxious and let’s face it, who isn’t in this world Pandemic crisis? it can have a negative effect on our physical health..By switching your thoughts to all the things, events and people you are thankful for, you are creating positive thoughts and feelings and creating new neural pathways in your brain and reducing stress and anxiety. It will also remind you that whatever happens to you there is always something to feel thankful for.
Your commitment to your gratitude journal refocuses your mind on positive events, conversations and relationships. This enables you to see more than just those negative ones that tend to fill your mind and dominate your thoughts when they happen.
Another way your thought patterns will change is that you will find that you start pushing boundaries and removing limiting beliefs. This will happen as you not only keep your gratitude journal but also review it. You will find that your mind opens to new possibilities and you gain in self-confidence and knowledge.
- Being Grateful Improves Your Health: the fact that there is a mind-body connection means that by focusing on positive thoughts and feelings in your gratitude journal you are helping to improve your physical and mental health. Studies have shown that regular gratitude journaling can not only;
(a) Relieves stress and anxiety
(b) Improve your sleep
(c) Gain perspective on your life; BUT …….
3. Creates Optimism: some days it’s just too hard to see the wood for the trees. You can find yourself focusing on something that has upset you and that thought will nag away at you constantly. Taking some time to sit quietly and do a re-frame by thinking about something you are grateful for will help reduce the negative thoughts and feelings and replace them with positive ones.
- Improved Sleep: regardless of whether you feel the need for eight hours sleep each night your body and mind do require a regular amount of sleep each night for optimal mental and physical health. Keeping a gratitude journal is fun, calming and a positive activity that promotes happy thoughts and feelings. Write out 3 things you’re grateful for before falling asleep and enjoy you’ll definitely sleep more peacefully and have happier dreams.
- It’s Fun: keeping a gratitude journal should be a fun enjoyable experience; something you look forward to. It doesn’t matter whether you use a plain notebook or a really fancy one, you can jazz it up by using different coloured pens or pencils, or even decorating the pages.
If you want to create a positive change in yourself and your life, then keeping a gratitude journal may just be the tool you are looking for. It’s cheap, easy and very beneficial to your physical and mental health. Now that’s a habit worth starting.
- Hi I’m Amanda. People come to me when they feel stuck, discombobulated and lost about their true direction. Maybe life has thrown a proverbial stone at your window and you’re staring out of the shattered glass wondering what’s next? Each one of us has a unique way of being and operating in the world which is encoded in your DNA. When we work together, we are uncovering your own keys to success on your terms so that you can start to uncover all that maybe out of balance and align back to your true nature. I am a certified Human Design BG5™ consultant trained in the Human Design Business System to help you get back in alignment with your own unique life and operating correctly helping you become a better leader, manager or business owner.